Election Day registration
Use the Voter Registration Lookup to determine if you are registered under your current name and address.
You must register and vote where you live. Use the Polling Place Finder to find your polling place.
In Minnesota, you can register at your polling place on Election Day. This includes registering when you go to vote if you are voting early. The list of documents voters can show as proof of residence has been expanded.
Voters may register by providing any one of these proofs of residence:
- Valid Minnesota driver's license or learner's permit, or a receipt for either, showing current name and address in the precinct. See MN Department of Driver and Vehicle Services for additional information.
- Valid Minnesota identification card or receipt for one, showing current name and address in the precinct.
- Tribal ID containing the current name and address in the precinct, signature and picture of the individual.
- Voter Voucher - a person may vouch for another voter, signing an oath confirming personal knowledge of the address of the voter who is registering, subject to the following guidelines:
- A voucher must be a pre-registered voter in the same precinct or a voter who registers in the same precinct on Election Day with one of the other authorized proofs of residence.
- A person may vouch for a limit of eight voters. (Please note: effective August 1, 2013, state law changed from allowing a person to vouch for up to 15 voters to the current limit of eight voters.)
- A voter who is vouched for cannot vouch for another voter.
- Employee Voucher- must be identified on a Certified List of Employees of a Residential Facility from a facility in the precinct or have other employee ID.
- Late Notice of Registration - letter mailed by election headquarters within the two weeks prior to Election Day, showing the address of the voter in the precinct. If you receive this letter, follow all instructions and bring it to your polling place.
- Previous registration in the same precinct - valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address.
- MN post-secondary student photo ID - if your school has provided a housing list to the election officials. We have student housing lists for students living on-campus in Minneapolis at the University of Minnesota, Augsburg College, North Central University, St. Catherine University, Art Institutes International, and Minneapolis College of Art & Design.
If you are a college student living at school, you can choose whether to register at home or at school, but not both! You can always vote by absentee ballot, but be sure you have the proper information and identification since rules differ from state to state.
A voter may register with an alternative proof of residence using a combination of one approved photo ID (from column 1) AND one approved document with current name and address (from column 2).
Approved Photo IDs
- Driver's License, state ID card or learner's permit issued by any state
- Minnesota post-secondary student ID
- Minnesota high school ID
- Tribal ID
- U.S. Military or Veteran ID
- U.S. Passport
Must have current name, photo, and no address or old address. It may be expired.
Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
Current student fee statement
Bill, account or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of the election for:
- Phone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc.)
- TV: cable, satellite, etc.
- Internet Service
- Solid waste or sewer services
- Electric, gas or water
- Banking or credit card
- Rent or mortgage payments
*This document can be shown electronically on a device such as a smartphone.
See our visual guide to acceptable forms of identification: