Change the Routine – Serve as an Election Judge
Minneapolis needs you!
- Primary Election on August 9
- General Election on November 8
- Absentee voting locations throughout the election season
You can serve at a polling place close to where you live or, if you're willing, anywhere in the City. On Election Day, you can work part-time or the full day.
Apply Online Now
Returning Election Judges, visit our new portal to let us know you're interested in working again and update your profile.
- U.S. citizen eligible to vote in Minnesota
- Able to read, write, and speak English
- Must complete an election judge training course (at least two hours)
- Must not be the spouse, parent, stepparent, child, stepchild, sibling, or stepsibling of any election judge serving in the same precinct or of any candidate in that election
- Must not live, either permanently or temporarily, with any candidate on the ballot at that election
- Must not be a candidate in the election.
City of Minneapolis Requirements
- Enjoy assisting and serving diverse populations
- Able to communicate clearly with voters
- Strong understanding of and commitment to nonpartisanship
- Available to work long hours
- Able to handle stressful situations calmly and professionally
- Attention to detail
- Basic computer skills/familiarity
- Fluency in Somali, Spanish, Hmong and/or American Sign Language (desired)
Election Judge Pay
Election judges can choose to volunteer or be paid to serve.
Minneapolis Election Judges are paid an hourly wage to attend a training class and for service on Election Day. The hourly wage for Minneapolis Election Judges is $12.60 per hour.
Time Off from Employment to Serve
State law allows for time off from work without loss of wages (Minnesota Statute 204B.195).
To qualify, you must provide your employer with at least 20 days written notice and the pay rate you will receive to serve as an election judge.
Your employer may:
- Reduce your salary or wages by the amount you are paid as an election judge during the time you are away from work
- Restrict the number of its employees serving as election judges to no more than 20 percent from a single work site
For questions about serving as an Election Judge, call (612) 673-3870 or e-mail EJCoordinator@minneapolismn.gov.