Student election workers
Apply to be a student election worker
Who can apply
To apply as a student election worker, you must be a:
- U.S. citizen
- High school student age 16 or older
- Resident of Hennepin, Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Ramsey, Scott, Sherburne or Wright County
We work with coordinators at many area high schools, but students from any educational program or youth group from the counties listed above may apply.
If you are under 18, you need a parent or guardian to sign the application form.
If you serve during the school year, your principal also must give permission after your training.
We staff many polling places in the city on Election Day. You can ask to be assigned as close to home as possible or agree to work anywhere in the city where we need help.
Most polling places are located close to public transportation in buildings such as:
- Park buildings
- Large apartment buildings
Pay and hours
- You can choose to volunteer or be paid.
- We pay $17.15 an hour.
- You must attend a three-hour training course.
- Choose a shift to work on Election Day:
- Full day: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Opening: 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Closing: 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.