State and local office candidates
- Have not filed for the same or any other office at the upcoming primary or general election.
- Be at least 21 years old when assuming office.
- Have lived in the election district for at least 30 days before the general election.
- Must be eligible to vote in Minnesota.
School board candidates
School board candidates must not be a registered predatory offender. See Minnesota Statutes section 243.166
Major political party candidates
Candidates for a major political party must either:
- Have participated in the party's most recent precinct caucuses.
- Intend to vote for a majority of that party's candidates at the next general election.