Register to vote
I want to
Voter registration guidelines
Who can register and vote in Minnesota
You must be:
- A U.S. citizen
- At least 18 years old on Election Day
- A resident of Minnesota for 20 days
- Finished with all parts of any felony sentence
- You can vote while under guardianship unless a judge specifically has revoked your right to vote.
- You cannot vote if a court has ruled that you are legally incompetent.
Voter registration deadlines
Unlike many states, you can wait until Election Day to register in Minnesota.
However, we encourage you to register before Election Day—it will save you time at the polling place.
- The deadline to register online is 11:59 p.m., 21 days before Election Day.
- The deadline to register on paper is 5 p.m., 21 days before Election Day.
- Otherwise, you can register on Election Day at your polling place.
You must register if you move or change your name
You must re-register each time you change address, change names or do not vote at least once during a four-year period.
Update your registration by completing a new registration application.
You can register to vote when you renew your driver's license or State ID
You can register to vote by checking a box on your driver’s license or state ID application or renewal form.
Before Election Day, to make sure your registration was successful, check your registration status online
You can register when you change your address with the Postal Service
If you move to a new Minnesota residence, you can submit a United States Postal Service (USPS) change-of-address form.
USPS will notify election officials of the change. If election officials can match the record in their system, they will update your address and mail a green confirmation postcard to you.
Before Election Day, to make sure it was successfully updated, check your registration status online
Note: This may take some time. Consider other options closer to election day.
You don't need to choose a political party when registering
You do not need to register for one political party when you register to vote. Minnesota does not have political party registration.
Voter registration resources
How to register if...
- I'm a college student
- I'm in the military or living abroad
- I have a criminal record
- I'm under guardianship or have an impairment
- I'm in a nursing home or hospital
- I fear for my personal safety
- I'm in a residential facility
- I'm living temporarily in Minnesota
- I'm homeless
- My home is in foreclosure
- My home was destroyed